Friday, February 12, 2016

Day 9 Ronda to above Serrato (updated)

12.02.2016 17:30

After a really lazy afternoon yesterday I felt much more energized this morning. I had breakfast in the cafe that cooperates with the hostal I stayed in, where they served cafe con leche, freshly squeezed orange juice, some bread with butter and tomato paste, and even churro, a local speciality made out of fried dough. Usually not something I would have for breakfast, but you know, if it's included in the price.. ;)


Around 9:30am I headed north to exit the town. I chose a different route than the actual GR7, because that one didn't sound fun at all, while my chosen path took me trough a truly beautiful valley with no cars around at all. 

(Sorry for the shitty pictures, the camera still doesn't seem to remember how to focus on things.)




I arrived in Arriate around 1 1/2 hours later and didn't stick around for long because there was actually nothing going on. Still a nice little town tough.


About 3km next to a busy road followed, but there was a surprisingly nice path next to it. Another 2km I had to walk on the road though, which sucked. On the other hand I have never found the different layers of a road so interesting.




The clouds were heavy and didn't look very promising, but there was only a few drops now and then, lucky me!

At some point a so called cañada real (old cattle track) lead away from the main street. The views from there were great, and it was a big shortcut too, but something was totally wrong with the soil. Like clay it stuck to my shoes all the time and I felt like I was walking on pillows, but very heavy ones.


Up and down and left and right the cañada curved through the countryside, until the view opened up and showed a valley bathed in sunlight in the distance. It doesn't show in the pictures obviously, but it was just crazy - everything around me was grey and dark, while this distant place was shining golden from in between all the clouds. 



I passed Cuevas de Becerro, which looked much prettier than on the picture, nestled between the mountains around it, houses all in white of course.


Then a rainbow showed up in the distant golden valley, as I was descending on the cañada real onto a paved street. Marvelous. 



And a bit later, the sun even came out above me, and it got really hot on my new jacket all of a sudden. The next two hours or so I kept walking downhill, thinking that the village of Serrato would have to appear around the corner just every other second. In fact it only became visible when I stood 30 meters in front of the first house, because it was hidden behind a hill. 


In Serrato I asked myself through to the only open bar around, which has wifi though, so I can't complain. It's completely packed with drinking and shouting men, while the rest of the village appeared completely deserted.



I will now fill up my water reservoirs at the village fountain and then continue walking towards Ardales for an hour or so, then look for a place to set up camp. The wired fences have finally disappeared and  I'm only at 400 meters of altitude, so I hope to find a nice spot and think it won't get too cold at night. Tomorrow I will hopefully make it until El Chorro, apparently a hotspot for climbers. 


20:00
What I didn't take into consideration when planning to "continue walking for an hour or so" was the constant drizzle waiting for me as I left the bar. I had neither put on my rain trousers nor coveted the backpack with the rain poncho, because I'm stupid and thought it wouldn't be that bad after all, but obviously a drizzle can make you wet too if you stay outside long enough.

So what I did was basically run up the road that led uphill and out of town, because the map said there would soon be a track leaving from it, where I hoped to find a spot to camp as soon as possible. Still it seemed to take me forever to climb up that damn road an my trousers were completely wet I course. In the end I figured that I might as well go in a normal speed again because I was all wet already anyway. 

Finally I found the track leaving the road and after not too much time I found a decent spot beneath some pine trees. I wasn't really hungry so I didn't cook anything and just had some cheese and nuts inside the tent. I really hope it doesn't rain too much at night because I will have to climb a dirt road tomorrow, which would be a mud slope if it does. 


My route today: not too bad I think! 



No comments:

Post a Comment