Sunday, February 7, 2016

Day 4 Wilderness to Jimena de la Frontera

07.01.2016 18:00

Tonight I had a water problem of the other kind: it started raining at around 11pm, not heavily but thoroughly, until the next morning. The tent kept everything out, but it took me a bit longer to get everything ready because I didn't want to get my stuff wet. 

When I finally started walking at 9, I saw that the path was totally muddy. So I walked in the grass most of the time, getting my legs wet up to the knees in order to avoid ruining my shoes in the mud, but sometimes I had to walk right through it anyway. It was exhausting and not fun at all, but at least it wasn't raining any more, I thought. 



Because there was at least 5 more kilometers ahead until I would reach Jimena de la Frontera (later I found out it was 9!), I decided to head for the road at the next possibility and try to hitchhike or to at least have solid ground under my feet again. Funny how I suddenly wished for the good old tarmac haha.

To get there, I had to cross what was supposed to be a bridge...


...but my feet were soaking wet from the grass already, so this little bath didn't make any difference.


On the A-405 I walked for a kilometer or two, with cars occasionally passing me without even thinking of slowing down. Then I got to a bus stop and an abandoned Venta, where I out down my backpack and had yet another protein bar, this time with berry flavor. Mhhh :D



Not too much later a small car slowed down and Heike, who lives in Castillo but is originally from Berlin, picked me up. She told me all about how Castillo used to be the place for hippie culture back in the days, but now everyone minds their own little business, which is why she was looking for a flat in Jimena.


She dropped me off in the city center and I walked steeply uphill to see the castle ruins.




As you can see it was sunny again so I took off my shoes, wringed my socks and dried my feet in the sun for a bit.


Then I decided that I would have to stay in the campsite just after town, because I didn't have any food left and wouldn't be able to do the 9 hour walk to Ubrique in any case. 

On the campsite "Los Arcocales" the receptionist told me there was another woman with a tent who is walking the GR7. Wow! I didn't really expect that, but she turned out to be real. I still don't know her name but she is Dutch and got a 7 months-leave to walk the GR7. We talked for a bit, but when I proposed that we could eat something together she said "hell no!". She wants to be alone, and I totally understand that. I think it's great that she can say that just so straight forward. 

So we camp next to each other and talk sometimes, but basically we mind our own businesses. She told me that she usually only starts hiking around 11, and it took her 5 days to get here, so I guess I won't be seeing her again after I leave tomorrow. I'm not disappointed about that, though I think it's funny that we met after all.

First thing I did after I had set up my tent was having a long and hot shower. Funnily enough I didn't feel that dirty really. Then I washed my clothes and creatively put them up to dry. At least one time those damn fences are useful for something. 


Then I had some terrific tapas and cafe con leche for a total amount of 5€. I love this. 


Afterwards I ran through the whole town to get to the only supermarket around in time - at 2pm straight I arrived and they had already closed the doors, but apparently I looked desperate enough so they let me in. I grabbed whatever I felt like, and I'm really looking forward to those 10-minute-noodles with gambas :D




Yes, that place is called Los Ángeles...



4 comments:

  1. Hi Verena, ich bin wieder dabei! Bin schon ganz begeistert von Deinen Berichten und Bildern. Pfleg' Deine Füße gut, sie sollen Dich ja noch ziemlich weit tragen!
    Viel Spaß u liebe Grüße P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das freut mich! Den Füßen gehts es ja nach wie vor überraschend gut, ih hatte mir das viel schlimmer vorgestellt - aber will es mal nicht verschreien ;)

      Delete
  2. Hallo Vreni, ich spendiere dir die nächste Pediküre (am besten einen Termin vor P) Lass es dir gut gehen meine Liebe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wenn es dazu auch einen cafe con leche gibt, mmmm:)

      Delete