Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mount Plješivica

After a very short night - in the evening I couldn't sleep because some people had the guts to have sex in a fully booked 10-bed-dorm, in the morning I woke up with the people getting up for their busses - I went shopping for breakfast and prepared for our hike. Covering 15km walking and a height distance of about 1100m, this would be by far the longest hike I had ever done.

A very charming American offered me his leftover scrambled eggs, and I also had some leftover from the sandwich I had prepared for lunch, so I ended up eating way more than I usually have for breakfast. That I noticed when we started our hike - my stomach felt like the heaviest part of my body. On top if that I had forgotten to bring my hat: best premises.

Our leader Scott, who volunteers at Fallen Lakes Hostel, started off with a pretty high speed - you will know that I'm not exaggerating in the end. The first part of the trail was quite steep and all in the sun; after some hundred meters I was already doubting I would make it to the top. We had breaks every now and then, but I felt like I'd explode if I drank some water, so I went without, while another guy had already finished his one-liter-bottle. 


When we finally reached the shady forest, things got better. So I thought. The flat parts of the way were so short that my body almost didn't notice until it was over, the rest was crazily steep trails straight up the mountain. I don't know if you can call this having fun, I guess you can't, but the view in the end just pays off for everything. 



At some point the way went down - for me it was one of the most frustrating points, because it suggested that the work was over, but it wasn't :D 

Somehow we all made it to the top - probably sweating more that we had drunk - and everyone got their personal high five from Scott.



From this point we actually continued walking on the back of the mountain to an abandoned army base, had a short cool-down in one of the various tunnel entrances around there, and saw lots of other abandoned... stuff.











Then we walked around the barrack you can see on top and finally reached our actual aim: a huge rock coming out of the middle of nowhere and overlooking the whole area. After sliding down a very steep hill and climbing up the rock, everyone had their lunch, while my stomach was only starting to feel normal again, so I only had a Nectarine and some cookies. By the time I also managed to drink 1 1/2 liters of water, so everything started to feel better.






At this point Scott revealed that we had done the track in record time - only 2 1/2 hours instead of 3 1/2. High five, bitches!


After 50 minutes of enjoying the view and the sun on top of the rock on top of the mountain, we had to make our way back. One word: slippery. 

Still everyone made it back down safe, and when we got picked up by the hostel's shuttle (for free!), there was "We are the champions" playing in the radio. Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment