Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Day 0

When looking for my fancy teeth protection last night before going to sleep (I still don't remember where I put it), I found a piece of paper in one of the front pockets of my backpack - not a letter from a secret lover, no, a notification of the airport security, stating that they had confiscated my gas canister. Duh. 

My sleep was accordingly not satisfying, and I woke up several times during the night - not because people were loud, actually I think I had the 10 bed-dorm all for myself, but because I was freezing. When I got up before the alarm even went of I realized that the window had been open. Oh well, everything has it's good and it's bad sides: This way I could hear the seagulls while packing my bag.

After a quick breakfast I set off to El Corte Inglés where I was hoping to find yet another gas canister. But no luck. First I was half an hour early and went to explore the area around, but when I finally got in they didn't have anything that fit. They did recommend another shop though, so with lots of detours, exploring the city center, I finally got there. And they even had Optimus cookers!!! What a luck! But wait, gas canisters? Out of stock. 

So without gas for cooking I am now on the way to Tarifa. I already checked online if could order another canister, but that would obviously take a couple of days, and I really don't to wait and take the risk of changing my mind and going surfing instead ;D I will find out if there's an outdoor store in Tarifa, and if not, I'll probably send the rest of the cooker back home and eat my instant noodles in the hostel instead :P



Although I only had the morning to walk around, Malaga made the impression of a really nice city with lots of small independent shops in little side alleys. The contrast between newly built complexes next to the uncovered façades of houses which had their neighboring buildings torn down was quite stunning. Also there was probably a river running through the city once, but it's completely dry now, which again gives the city a kind of abandoned atmosphere. Which changes, of course, as soon as you take a turn and dive into the bustling network of plazas, avenidas and alleys that could only fit a motorcycle in it.


















UPDATE:
After I had totally given up on the thought of hot dinners when camping, I seriously just found a gas canister that fits on my cooker. The two places I found in Tarifa didn't have any gas at all, but at the third place the guy disappeared to the back of the shop, then returned with a canister of about 5kgs. But eventually they got smaller and smaller and smaller until he finally pulled out a dusty 100g canister. Omg! I'm saved!



Other than that I'm relaxing at Melting Pot Hostel right now, after a short walk around town. I visited the southernmost point of Spain, although the actual southernmost point is closed to visitors because I don't know why. 








2 comments:

  1. Have a great trip Verena, can't wait to see how you you do. Fingers crossed for good weather, it's still only February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wünsche dir einen wunderbaren und sicheren Camino. 1000 Bussis

    ReplyDelete