Saturday, August 29, 2015

Plitvice National Park

The woman at the information counter had told me that I should probably take trail B, which was supposed to take 3-4 hours. But when I had fought my way through the masses and arrived at the boat station after half an hour or so, I realized that I would have more than enough time for something more extensive. So I went for the longest trail (K) that lead up a hill from where you could see the lakes from the top. Not only did I enjoy the exercise, but also I happened to be completely by myself up there, which was very relaxing.

I told myself again and again that it doesn't make sense to take pictures with my phone, because everyone can see much nicer ones on google anyway, but sometimes I still couldn't help it.















The later it got, the emptier it got, the more enjoyable it got :) Around 7 I picked up my backpack, which was the last one in the locker room - I really don't know why people leave so early, the park actually closes at 8.

Then I tried hitchhiking from the entrance, and although the spot was very good for stopping, and every single car passing by was definitely going to the village I had to go to, I didn't get lucky. After half an hour or so a very nice taxi driver called Mario offered to take me to Korelica for 50 Kuna, which was a very good deal compared to the 200 Kuna-offer I had received earlier. I know I was cheating here, but it was already getting dark and I wasn't really prepared to spend the night on the Plitvice parking lot ;)


Arriving at the Falling Lakes Hostel, I was already satisfied when I saw their gender-neutral toilets and bathrooms. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.


But got even better. The hostel, newly opened this season and run by two siblings, was fully booked and the atmosphere was just awesome. Even though it was an all-you-can-drink evening, you would see people playing cards (okay, it was probably a drinking game..) or chess, or just hanging around on the terrace and the kitchen. It didn't take long for Boris, the co-owner, to convince me to join the free mountaineering trip they organize every other day - actually I hadn't even checked in when I decided to skip my planned second day in the park for this awesome hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment