Monday, August 3, 2015

Hitchhiking IV

I played with the thought of staying in Augustów for another night, blaming myself for once again planning this trip so thoroughly. But due the - hopefully temporary - deactivation of my Couchsurfing account I didn't want to make my hosts in Gdynia even more insecure, so I checked out around 8am and started walking towards the other end of Augustów.

Hoping that someone might pick me up before I had completed this 3km-march, I  put up my thumb from time to time - and after about half an hour of walking, Shemek and Silvia, who both live in Belgium now but come every three months to visit their families, offered to give me a lift to Elk.

At the gas station I approached lots of people, but no one seemed to go towards Olsztyn, the next bigger city on the way to Gdynia. One man was going to the next town and offered to give me a lift, but I was hoping for better options. Then a truck driver stopped, when I was trying to catch people directly from the road, but he apparently didn't understand my sign language, because I drive away when I ran to get my backpack. Finally another guy stopped, who was going to Orzysz, the next town, and this time I took my chance. 


(I'm just going after my notes here, I must admit. I got 8 rides today, and already don't remember all of them anymore haha.)

In Orzysz I waited for another 30 minutes, even though the gas station I had been dropped off was on the right road in the right direction. Finally a guy called Adam offered to take me, of course, to the next town, Mikolajki - better than nothing, right?

In Mikolajki my luck seemed to turn a bit: after not more than five minutes a guy with a very complicated name - something like Stislav, but longer - drive until Mragowa. 

He dropped me on a less than ideal spot more or less in the middle of town, but after a bit of walking, I tried my luck on a traffic sign, and there came Shemon with his grandma and pulled over. 

They only went until Sorkwity to spend their holidays there, but even though small, it was still on the way to Gdynia, yay! We arrived there around 12, and after letting me out, Shemon recommended me to have lunch in the restaurant across the street, which according to him served the best fish ever.

Knowing that I still had a long way to go, I ordered Barsch and salad. It wa indeed delicious, but I don't know if it was the "best fish ever" :D


There had been a father with his daughter eating in the restaurant as well, who apparently left shortly after I had crossed the street again and walked to the nearby bus stop, because he waved at me from the other side of the street and asked where I was going. To Olstyn! Well that's where Peter was going as well, yay!

I got off at a bus stop before the city, because I didn't want to get lost in it. It seems to have been a good decision, because after what felt like a minute, Iza stopped for me. She went to some place in the middle of nowhere, but that was my direction, so yay! :D

She dropped me off in Ostróda, a town after Olstyn, where I had to walk back to the right highway for about half an hour. The only possible spot to hitchhike was a very bad one: just before the start of the highway. Still, after 10 minutes a truck pulled over! And Kazimierz was not only going to Gdansk, but to Gdynia port. Lucky me :)








No comments:

Post a Comment