Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Hitchhiking VI (Szczecin - Berlin)

I think today was unexpectedly one of the easiest hitchhiking days ever. Around 9:30am my host gave me a lift to the bus station in the city center, from where I continued to Kolbaskowo. 


There it was already at 30,C and when I started walking towards the highway I already saw me dying of thirst somewhere on the way. 


Using my cardboard more as a sunprotection than anything else, I stood right before the beginning of the highway to Berlin. It had been recommended on hitchwiki, but I think it was a rather dangerous spot. I decided to try it for some time an if there would be no reaction whatsoever, I would walk to the next gas station, where I at least wouldn't be run over by cars so easily.

Surprisingly though, after 10 minutes Michal stopped for me and I hopped in the car before I even knew where he was going. Everything must be better than this spot, so I thought.

After we had passed the gas station nearby and I had checked my map, I realized that there was no other stop until Michal would take the highway to Rostock. So I asked him to drop me off at one of the emergency stops right on the highway - dangerous, but better than a gas station on the wrong highway whatsoever.

There I stood, in the sun, with no civilization in a 10km-radius, hoping for the best. After 30 seconds I heard someone honk behind me and saw that a French car had stopped around a hundred meters further down the road. Awesooooome!

Thanks to Frederic I escaped death by thirst once more and arrived in Berlin - Birkenwerder around 12 o'clock. I spent another hour in public transport to get to my friend's place - Berlin is just too big!


No comments:

Post a Comment