Monday, August 17, 2015

Hitchhiking VIII (Warsaw - Krakow)

After very long but too short two days in Warsaw I got up around 8 today, left the flat with my host Andrzej, and easily took two busses to a place called Sekocin Las in the South of Warsaw. 

There was construction works all over the place, which was good for me because cars automatically slowed down. So it came that it only took 10 minutes until Adam, his son Adam (yes... :D) and their dog Norris (from Chuck Norris) offered to take me until Kielce. Adam (the First) works as kind of a Best Boy in movie productions, so he has very flexible working hours. That's why he can afford the luxury to drive to the mountains with his son on a Sunday :)


He dropped me at a rather abandoned gas station just after Kielce, where I tried talking to some people first, but then walked back to a bus station on the main street. That one wasn't optimal either, because the stopping strip was the road to the gas station at the same time.

Anyway a car with a local license plate that had just come from another small side street slowed down in front if me. I had a strange feeling from the start, I'm telling you. The guy inside said he was going to Krakow (in Polish), but wouldn't answer any additional questions. Instead he asked something that had the word "sex" in it, so I asked "what?". He repeated, all I heard was "sex". My first impulse was to show him my middle finger, but instead I just waved him to move on. You never know, maybe he meant something else. But probably not. I always wonder what guys like this usually do with their lives; how they actually have the guts to ask someone obviously NOT offering any sexual service for that very thing. I mean whaaaat.


This being only the second probably-sexual-confrontation in my whole hitchhiking career, I still took it as a sign to leave the spot and go back to the gas station. There I stood for a minute, slightly in shock and frustrated, then I walked back to the street, but in the direction I wanted to go to. 



When I was clearly visible to the drivers, I tried again and got lucky after a few minutes. Cesar (imagine this in Polish writing) took me in his fancy car, and together we drove directly into the storm that was forming above Krakow. Cesar actually lived outside of the city, as I could tell by his GPS, but it was obvious that it would be raining very soon and very heavily, so he drove me directly to the main train station of Krakow without a word. Thank you!!

Even the ten meters from the car to the entrance made me soaking wet, so I don't want to imagine what I would've looked like if he had dropped me somewhere outside of the city. 

This is how the end of the world looks like:


No comments:

Post a Comment