Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hitchhiking IIII

Thanks to hitchwiki I found out that there's a free bus promoted by Lithuania's probably biggest and definitely cheapest supermarket "Maxima" into the outskirts of Vilnius. Off I went and arrived there around 9:15am, and after I had grabbed some leftover cardboard in the monstrous hypermarket and climbed over some cut-through fence, the show was on again.



On my first day with really nice weather actually nothing could go wrong, so after a mere 10 minutes, mother and daughter on their way to vacation in Klaipeda offered me a ride. They dropped me off in Kaunas, where I had a small walk until the next gas station, where Igor approached me after I had asked some other people where they were going, and offered to take me until Marijampolé. That wasn't exactly the road I wanted to take but still the right direction, and I was of course thrilled that everything seemed to be going so well. 


But thennnnn I made a major mistake: without double-checking, I let Igor choose a "good place" for me - which ended up to be in the middle of nowhere, with really bad circumstances for cars to stop. So there I stood, for an hour, in the sun.


Then I asked my clever offline map for the hundred-and-eleventh time, which still didn't have anything really satisfying to offer. Anyway I started walking towards the direction I came from, hoping to find some civilization. 

After a few minutes, a car stopped on the other roadstrip - Igor, who had returned from his appointment. Very surprised that his spot had not been so good at all, he offered to take me to a nearby gas station - wish he had had this idea at the beginning, haha. On the way we picked up a girl from Argentina, who wanted to go to Warsaw (my direction), but was on the wrong side of the road. We also picked up two Austrians, who wanted to go to Kaunas, where Igor was going - lucky them.

Said gas station was kind of abandoned, so Paula, the Argentinian, and I tried with a bus stop closer to the road. In spite of lots of waves we got nothing but almost another hour of waiting in the sun. 

Finally two elderly men from Estonia stopped and took me almost directly in front of my pension in Augustów and Paula onwards to Warsaw. Thanks to the change of time I actually arrived around 2pm, just in time for check-in. Yay :)



PS: This is what traveling actually looks like most of the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment