Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sarajevo

hope you all remember how I was introduced to Sarajevo by TV chef Vjetko Kramer (if not, scroll down to find the post about it). So thanks to him, I was already very attached to this city when I checked into my hostel, the Balkan Han, one of the most famous and top rates hostels in town. 

Sadly, I didn't really enjoy the cars passing by our dorm window all day and all night, the kitchen was way too small for doing anything, the bathrooms were occupied all the time, and if they weren't, there was no toilet paper. 

I still enjoyed the city, wandering up and down the pedestrian lane most of the time, so that I spent another night at Franz Ferdinand Hostel, which was much nicer, much cleaner, closer to the city, and had aircondition and free breakfast for the exact same price. That made me considerably happy.

I also did a free walking tour run by Neno, a very charismatic and fun guy born and raised in Sarajevo. Recommendable!























(Viennese bakery-chain Aida - the waitresses were even wearing the same uniforms!!)









On the third day I finally made it to the "Jewish Museum of BiH", which is located inside the Sephardic Syagogue. To be honest, it was quite disappointing when you consider size and influence of the Jews in Bosnia before WWII. There's hardly any in-depth information on anything, although the man from the office was happy to answer questions. I don't remember how big the Jewish community used to be, but now they count around 600 members in the whole country. Neither the Sephardic nor the Ashkenazi Synagogue were destroyed but used as prison or for collecting people before deportation, and later as storage places.


The Askenazi Synagogue was only open for visitors until around 3, which I forgot constantly, so I only got to see it from outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment