Friday, September 25, 2015

Edirne

As you know I had a difficult start with Edirne, because I spent the whole afternoon waiting for my Couchsurfing host. 

On the next day, I got up really early, because I didn't want to take the risk of the guy coming with me to see the city.




The internet said that Edirne's synagogue is in ruins and cannot be entered, but I went to see it anyway. You cannot imagine my joy when I discovered that it had been fully renovated in the year before!







Very happy about this great start of the day, I went on to see the various magnificent mosques of Edirne, which was the capital of the Byzantine Empire before Istanbul.













In one of the markets I got a basket with scented, fruit-shaped soap - supposedly a typical product of the Edirne region - as a present for my friends in Istanbul.



Because it was still really early, I decided to go to Karaagaç, which is still part of the city but is located about 4 km on the other side of one of the rivers that run around it. I crossed two old bridges on foot and then successfully hitchhiked the rest of the way. 



Karaagaç was a lovely place with lots of cafés, few cars, and an old train station that is now a university. I also visited the oldest mosque of Edirne, which also turned out to be the simplest.





Then I hitchhiked back into town, had a dessert called Peynir Tatlīsī, and took a free bus to the main bus station, which turned out to be just next to the highway..


No comments:

Post a Comment