Monday, July 22, 2013

Statistics!

People who know me in person often make jokes about it: I compile lists about seriously everything :D
While there was one time when I even documented the colour of my eyeshadow every day, I by now limited myself to only write down all my receipts and expenditures. I do this all the time, but of course it's especially interesting during a period of travel.

So, let me proudly present you my spendings of the last 6 weeks of travelling:

click to enlarge

Food & soft drinks: Most of the time I buy stuff in local supermarkets for one or two days in advance. I always make sure I have enough food with me so that I'm never forced to buy something extremely overpriced when nothing else is around. Of course I don't get the chance to check out the "local cuisine" too much by this behaviour, but I also spend way less money and sometimes you can find really interesting stuff you've never seen or tasted before in supermarkets as well.

Alcohol: This is mostly cheap wine from supermarkets - definately should work on that one, a little bit of luxury should be allowed :D

Transportation: I spent 30€ for the ferry to and from Terschelling Island, the rest is public transport, which I didn't use a lot, and a train ride from Fusion Festival to Berlin.

Clothing: I was forced to invest in new shoes and trousers, as the first ruined my feet and the latter fell apart :D I also bought some t-shirts as a souvenir and my beloved blue cap which replaced the sun hat I had brought with me originally.

Accommodation: 42€ for camping and the ticket for Oerol on Terschelling Island hurt my wallet a lot but it was worth it! As you know, I couchsurfed most of the time, but I spent 2 nights in the ONE80° in Berlin (42€), and another 3 nights in St. Christopher's Inns in Prague (40€).

Others: Postcards, city tours, horrific cash withdrawal fees in Holland, open-air cinema (8,50€, gee!) - many a mickle makes a muckle :D


As I heard from most of you that you don't have the patience to read all my texts (shame on you!), I will let pictures speak in the following:

stuff I took with me originally
blue cardigan, scarf, 2-person-tent, trashbag, mp3-player, Canon EOS 550D,
2 longsleeves, 2 pairs of tights, turquoise purse (used as daypack), 3 dresses, underwear,
sun hat, zebra & nacho-top, sleeping bag, gaffatape, shorts, leggings, trekking towel,
painkillers, cutlery, sandals, 2 black tops, grey pants, make-up, small purse,
sleeping t-shirt, pants from India, toiletries, soap, shampoo

stuff I used less than 5 times or not at all
2 pairs of tights, glasses, bikini, extra black top, 2 longsleeves, sun hat,
rope thingy, eyeshadow base, eyeliner, lipstick, eyeliner,
small purse for going out, date book, trashbag

stuff I used (almost) every day
notebook, scarf, cap, waterbottle, sunglasses, mp3-player, trekking-towel,
travel diary, textile bag, roadmap of Europe (my holy bible), earplugs!!!, wallet,
eyebrow powder, compact powder, liquid make-up, eyelash curler, mascara,
brushes, rasp, toothbrush, comb, toothpaste, sun protection (50+)

stuff I found, bought, or got as a present
rain cape, light stick, cap, shoes, 3 pairs of socks, 1984 by Geroge Orwell, baby shirt,
cardigan, painkillers (didn't help), black panties, 2 t-shirts, a pair of jeans

stuff I lost or gave to someone else and stuff that didn't survive the trip
grey pants which I bought in Dubai *sob*, pair of shitty shoes by H&M,
my beloved blue cardigan by Takko (lost in Amsterdam metro, bitch!),
2-person-tent which I donated for refugee relief

amount of hair grown in 6 weeks, haha!

In total, I used 57 cars, surfed 12 couches, visited 15 cities, joined two festivals, and covered a distance of more than 3000 kilometers only by hitchhiking.

I met people from all kinds of places in Germany, from Turkey, Portugal, Croatia, France, Italy, Ecuador, Martinique, Tunesia, Romania, Spain, Holland, Iran, Czech Republic and from Ukraine - because they all stopped for me and gave me a lift. Wow!


I can't tell you which city or place or people I liked the most, because I had a lot of absolutely different experiences you can't compare - but there is one occasion I will never forget in my life: When, in five minutes, I decided not to go to Amsterdam and come with Roeland and Machteld instead, to a completely unknown island where a completely unknown festival took place: Oerol!

<3
The two of them cared for me as if I had been their good friend for years, shared everything with me and treated me with such a self-evident friendliness that I want to hug and kiss them over and over again.


All those numbers, as interesting and informative they might be, of course can't tell how much I enjoyed and what I learned from this trip. But I can tell you one thing: A LOT! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment