Thursday, March 21, 2013

Expect the unexpected

After an exciting but exhausting 6-hour bus ride and a homemade lunch on the street in the middle of nowhere, I arrived in Pokhara last Sunday. I was hoping that own good self was needed here more than in Sundarijal, but Anne, the volunteer working in the same project, told me the truth right away: The women of the Women's Skills Development Organization only need experienced people with design or business knowledge, so where slightly missplaced here. Still, Anne figured out some work we could do and I spent the last days designing a new flyer, which you can admire here:



Pokhara is more idyllic and less crowdy than Kathmandu, which probably most of people prefer, but I don't. Also, most of the travellers coming here don't stay in the small city, but start their trekking from here, so it's hard to find some friends. Still, believe it or not, last night I bumped into someone I knew from Kathmandu already, haha.

Anyway, the story I wanted to tell you actually: Yesterday I had a "date" with Kieran from Ireland to drive me to a village called Sarangkot nearby on a scooter. He first wanted to rent two scooters, but I explained him that I had never driven a scooter before and surely wouldn't try it in Nepal for the first time. That's why we only rented one scooter and then started our journey, but after ten minutes, Kieran declared that he was feeling sick and couldn't keep on driving. So, what to dooooo? :D

Spontaneous as I am, or actually became recently, I decided to give it a try and drive that damn scooter on Nepal's crazy streets (which aren't as crazy as everyone says, actually). And tadaaaa, I survived, even though I made everyone stop at a big junction because I had no idea how to turn right, and everyone just waited for me to figure out the way. That's actually why driving in Nepal is so easy: Everyone is expecting the others to drive just how they want, so you are more careful in general.
Apart from that little incident, I drove easily to the Stupa I wanted to visit, asking for the way every 500 meters. Still, I managed to go up a mountain for about 45 minutes and ended up never finding the Stupa. Maybe I gave up 2 minutes before I reached it, or maybe I just took completely the wrong way (which seems more likely to me, haha), but still I had a LOT of fun and a great view.

view from a restaurant at the Lakeside

Anne, Denise and me enjoying the best coffee in Nepal







me, surprised by myself and full of adrenaline





"what."


You can't see the view on the pictures too well though, but I made a nice video which I can show you when I come home. Oh yeah, and it was very cloudy and rainy that day, and it even started to rain twice while I was on the road. Still I decided not to turn around (if it had really rained, everything would've been too late anyway), and I was lucky - it stopped after five minutes.

In general, I always feel like I am very lucky, no matter what I do.
Somehow, everything turns out right, one way or the other.

If it's meant to be, it will be.
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment